About BeafordBeaford is a village and civil parish in the Torridge district of Devon, England. The village is about five miles south-east of Great Torrington, on the A3124 road towards Exeter and is approx. 3300 acres. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 393, compared to 428 in 1901.
The western boundary of the parish is formed by the River Torridge and it is surrounded, clockwise from the north, by the parishes of St Giles in the Wood, Roborough, Ashreigney, Dolton, Merton and Little Torrington. The parish church, which is in the village, is dedicated to All Saints, though before the Reformation it was dedicated to St George. It has a 15th-century doorway, arches and windows, as well as a Norman font.
Its tower was rebuilt with a small spire in 1910. Greenwarren House in the village is the former home of Beaford Arts, the country’s longest established rural arts centre. It is now a private family house. Beaford has several examples of old cottages and buildings, many of which are listed. Thatched cottages with cob walls can be seen at the Beehive and cottages further down Bond Street. These latter buildings once housed families working for local farmers, and often had large families occupying their small rooms.
Several premises must date back to the 1600’s; nearby farms much earlier than this. The farms however, have been much altered, and only small parts of original buildings remain. Upcott and Woolleigh are very old, being mentioned in the first Domesday, as was Beaford itself. The village now has a wide mixture of buildings, from the picturesque thatched cottage of previous centuries to stone buildings of the last century, to the modern block and brick built house and bungalow.
Beaford has a cricket team which competes in the North Devon League. The local Pub, The Globe Inn, is in the center of the village and is a listed building built in mid 19th century. A popular meeting place, The Globe serves local food and beers and often has live music.